Sunday, October 08, 2006

Slow October weekend

It is time for a pictorial narrative of my weekend. It has been a slow one. Once again Paul is away (let's see, the last time he was actually home for a full weekend was... hmm, can't remember, July maybe?), and I had to find something to occupy my time, so here's my weekend in pictures:

Last tomatoes of the season (although there are a few blooms still going, not sure we’ll see tomatoes at this point)


Last flowers - ok, so maybe not, they are still kicking like crazy out there (the first hard freeze will be the end of them and we're no where near that!)


Baking! Yes. I baked and I think I'll continue baking. It's just something one does to take up the time when you don't know what else to do (see recent episode of GA).


Pumpkin harvest muffins in process... with granny smith apples, raisins, and a lot of autumn-y spices (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, & a little ground ginger).


Mmm! Hot muffins... one dozen down, dozens more to go...



I did take a break from the baking to work on decorating the house for fall. I felt a little 'arts & crafty' and decided to make a wreath and other little interesting things. It's pretty chilly this weekend so besides the gloom outside, it's starting to feel a lot like fall.

The coffee table and its little fall things


The mantle


Detail of the glass jar


Wicker ball-thingies and maple leaves


If the sun was shining I would have taken a picture outside so you could see the new storm door Paul installed. I also put my fall wreath (made in September 2004 just after we moved in) on the front door and I ended up buying the suburban staple - the mini seasonal flag. Gosh. Never thought I would fall into buying one of those, but I saw it at Kohl's (60% off + another 15% off at checkout) and wanted something to welcome our visitors (which we'll have some come Thanksgiving!).

I'm feeling the need to bake again. As much as anything, for the heat of the oven. brrr! It is getting chilly in here and I don't have a clue how to turn on the fireplace and don't even want to think about turning on the heat. Maybe more pictures to come... seriously considering making chocolate chip-chocolate chunk-pecan cookies. Mmmmm. Yes, I think I shall. Pictures to come? We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The decorations look great. Would love to try one of those muffins! They looked delicious. Can't wait to see you soon. Enjoy the treats from your baking. Love you, M&D

Becky said...

Julie-Lee!
I love your fall decor! And I love fall! I took some fall pictures on the way back from Mars Hill this morning (I stayed with my parents last night, helped my mom take the dog to the vet this a.m.)--the mountains are on the verge of becoming awesome! Anyway, I missed our phone call last night! The muffins look great (and I totally know what GA you're talking about!)--yum! Take care girl!
Love in slob!
-lu